The annual KCRW Radio Race gives you 24 hours, a surprise theme, and just 4 minutes to tell a radio story. Teams compete from all of the United States and even the world, racing around their communities to find a story, edit, throw it all out and start again, and sometime in the final 23rd hour submit a polished piece.
This year WBTV-LP created a team that was sure to win…something.
We cobbled together a team of the folks building WBTV-LP and set off to use each of our skills to make some damn good (yet short) radio about an amazing local program called the Good Food Truck. Take a listen…
The WBTV-LP Team
- Ari Erlbuam, a graduate of the SALT radio program, lifelong Vermonter, and dedicated soul who hitchhiked from the Northeast Kingdom to compete. Ari took the lead on fine tuning our editing process, while also schlepping all over town with Dom for stories with a mic.
- Dom Berrini, local musician, Burton snowboards staffer, and former host of the WRUV Exposure show. Dom created the original music you hear in the piece and joined Ari on foot to find our story.
- DJ Llu, long-time local radio maker, co-founding chair of the WBTV-LP radio project, and dabbling podcaster brought their interview and chop edit skills to the team. Llu happened upon the Good Food Truck and found our meaty story.
- Audrey Homan, hunkered down and created social media buzz for our team and cheerleaded just about every other radio race team out there. Audrey made us look gooood. Hashtag WINNING.
- and Phoebe the Dog, our captain who reminded us to take lots of naps and eat peanut butter.
We had a blast this year and look forward to many more years of radio making for this race and for our local community when we get on air this fall!