WBTV-LP March Audio Workshops & Talks
- POSTPONED! WE WILL RESCHEDULE. RETN & WBTV-LP present StoryCraft :: Thursday, March 10 :: Recording Life: Conversations on the Process, Art and Work of Audio Recording with Erica Heilman of Rumble Strip Vermont. Doors at 5:30 p.m. Conversation beings at 6 p.m. Register (limited seating!).
- Zoom-a-Zoom Zoom: How to use a digital audio recorder with Bill Simmon :: Thursday, March 17 at 5:30-6:30 p.m. Info, registration & fee scale here.
- Oral Histories, A How-To with Kate Blofson :: Wednesday, March 23, 5:30-7 p.m. Registration required!
- WBTV-LP Unplugged with Aly Perry of WRUV’s Soundsmith Radio, interviewed by Bill Simmon :: Thursday, March 24, 6-7 p.m. (free)
- WBTV-LP Radio Mingle :: Thursday, March 31 at 5 p.m. (free)
- Coming soon! Call for WBTV-LP’s first on-air programmers (yes, really!). Make sure you are signed up forWBTV-LP’s monthly newsletter here.
POSTPONED! WE WILL RESCHEDULE! RETN & WBTV-LP present StoryCraft :: Recording Life: Conversations on the Process, Art and Work of Audio Recording with Erica Heilman of Rumble Strip Vermont. HOSTED BY: Rumble Strip Vermont and WBTV-LP
Thursday, March 10, 2016
Doors open 5:30 | Conversation begins 6 p.m.
RETN is partnering with local media, literary, and arts organizations to bring insightful conversation and practical resources together, in six monthly events February – July. Listen and participate in talks with Vermont story makers, facilitated by Gin Ferrara of Spindle & Widget, with Burlington Writers Workshop, the Young Writers Project, VCAM, WBTV-LP, and more. Get inspired to tell your own story at our July event: a Pecha Kucha presentation!
Each conversation is recommended for ages 12 and up.
All events will be held at the new Media Factory, RETN and VCAM’s event, studio and classroom space at 208 Flynn Avenue.
Erica Heiman produces a podcast called Rumble Strip Vermont. Her independent radio work has aired on NPR’s Day to Day, Hearing Voices, SOUNDPRINT, KCRW’s UnFictional, and on major public radio affiliates across the country. Prior to her work in audio, Erica worked in documentary television in New York City. She produced programming for WNET, HBO and ABC News.
WBTV-LP is the new low-power community radio station being built as a program of RETN and VCAM, with the leadership of community leaders.
Zoom-a-Zoom Zoom: How to use a digital audio recorder with Bill Simmon :: Thursday, March 17 at 5:30-6:30 p.m.
Learn how to operate a Zoom digital audio recorder! VCAM has both H1 and H4n models of Zoom digital audio recorders. This workshop will take you through the steps of basic operation of these units. Whether you are recording a musical performance, a podcast, a radio interview or doing “double system” film production, the Zoom H1 and H4n are handy tools of the trade to get to know.
You will learn how to:
- review of the device & functions & settings (why you would want to choice one over another),
- set up to record — walk through of hands on plug in the external mics, the settings (key), formatting an audio card, testing, etc.,
- record something,
- take your content and getting it onto a computer to start editing,
- troubleshooting tips (identify common errors/issues).
Facilities, Materials, and Payment:
VCAM will provide a couple of audio recorders and microphones for students to see as examples. Open to the public and sliding scale of $25 requested to help fund the WBTV-LP, Burlington radio project. VCAM membership is NOT required and donation can be paid at time of workshop in cash or check or pay by credit card online. Register here.
Size: 2-10 students l Duration: 1 hour
Teacher: Bill Simmon
Oral Histories, A How-To with Kate Blofson :: Wednesday, March 23, 5:30-7 p.m.
Join noted professional oral historian Kate Blofson for this introduction to the fine art of collecting oral histories. Blofson will tackle the soft skills that make great stories as well as practical production tips, drawing on her extensive work in the field, most recently for the Vermont Historical Society. Registration required, sliding scale fee $0-25.00. Please register early, we are expecting this workshop to fill quickly, and we’ll have limited ability to add seats.
Facilities, Materials, and Payment:
Open to the public and sliding scale of $25 requested to help fund the WBTV-LP, Burlington radio project. VCAM membership is NOT required and donation can be paid at time of workshop in cash or check or pay by credit card online. Register here.
Size: 2-10 students l Duration: 1.5 hours
Teacher: Kate Blofson
WBTV-LP Unplugged! with Aly Perry of WRUV’s Soundsmith Radio \ Thursday, March 24, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
In this installment of our informal radiomaker conversation series, Aly Perry, drama educator and co-host of WRUV’s popular Soundsmith Radio sits down with longtime local dj and local filmmaker Bill Simmon to talk about art, drama, education and radio. No registration or fee required, but please note: we will be conducting a recording during this session.
Hosted in the RETN & VCAM Media Factory space at 208 Flynn Ave. suite 2-G, these are events are free and open to the public!
WBTV-LP RadioMaker Meetup \ Thursday, March 31, 5:30-7 p.m.
Drop in and hang out with other radio-making folks! Bring your in-progress or in-planning projects in person to this casual walk-in session. Toss ideas around or get help with sticky technical issues. No registration or fee required.