My name is Llu, aka DJ Llu and I have been on Vermont radio for nearly 25 years (but I could still pass for looking like a 12-year old). Over the years I have worked in a variety of radio formats – commercial (99.9 the Buzz for a dozen years), college (WIUV, Castleton is my college soul mate), community radio (WGDR, Plainfield gave me my start at 13 years old). I have also DJed a variety of live gigs (r.i.p. 135 Pearl, oh, hey! Higher Ground), and hosted couple of podcasts like this one.
My current audio projects are:
- A weekly show on WRUV-FM, Burlington (90.1 FM) Sundays 8pm-10pm, “Get Fresh with DJ Llu,” two hours of new music from the record labels & the web. My show is part of the FMQB alternative rock national panel for new music on U.S. radio. Catch some of the past shows here.
- A once in awhile short podcast, Mic Check with DJ Llu, getting rock stars to tell me their dorky secrets.
- And a monthly collection of free downloads from the web that I call “Sound Check” and post for anyone to pursue and download.
All do all that for the love of the game, but my day job is as Development & Outreach Manager for VCAM – one of the three community media centers in Burlington. Which means I raise money and get paid to be on social media and the internet all day! I am also the point staff person for WBTV-LP, helping to keep the momentum going behind the scenes.
Fun fact: I am a sucker for a well designed iphone game. My current favorites are “dragon jump” and “alto’s adventures.” All time besties are “badlands” and “limbo.”
A thing I hope happens with this radio station:
Nearly four years ago, long before I was on the VCAM staff, I was one of the folks who was part of starting this station’s dream and went after the FCC license. Back then and today, my dream/hope is exactly the same – I want this to be a COMMUNITY station. Led by locals, with quality programming that is eclectic and interesting, and for the station to be an asset as part of the local media landscape.
Current tunes, radio shows, and podcasts I like:
- PODCAST: Dinner Party Download – I listen for the kick off joke. It makes me bust a gut every time.
- RADIO: The Brits know how to record hunt. There is a long-time movement among underground DJs in the UK to find rare soul and R&B tracks and then throw parties where everyone rocks out to them. Thanks to the internet some of these brits have gotten their finds on the web and even made radio shows of the music. One of my favorites is ScratchNSniff with their “funk and groove show.”
- TUNES: The new Janet Jackson single is off the hook.
So far this year my favorite artist(s) albums are from Courtney Barnett and Leon Bridges.